Sometimes being a parent can be very frustrating. It's like sitting in an ofice surrounded by paperwork that needs to be done. Now; but more keeps coming in.
Thats what it's like at home. Everytime I start doing something somebody needs something. When I try to do homework my 4 yr old son(he just turned four) is asking me to play a video game with him. It gets kind of depressing because I keep telling him no, I have to do homework,or, I have to do this or that. He rarely hears, ok let's go play. It's not just him though, my daughter usually gets the same response.
As I sit here writing this my son is using me to practice counting. I am the kind of person that can't write and talk at the same time, so it'a kind hard for me to do both. He asks, what comes after twelve? I say thirteen. Then he asks what comes after 13? I say 14. This goes on all the way to twenty. After twenty he stops and I begin to write again. Then I hear, what comes after eleven? I say 12. He then asks, what comes after 12? I should've said 13, but instead I say, not right now I have to finish doing my homework. This thing he wanted me to do would only take a couple of minutes, but would more than likely turn into a more timely activity.
Things like this will help him learn, as well as building on our relationship as father and son. I feel like I always have to put him off to do other things, and i'm missing important time with him. Ultimately, it makes me feel like a bad parent. I don't want him to keep feeling rejected and turn it into resentment. There will be plenty of resentment when he gets older, I don't want to speed up the inevitable.
Maybe I need to learn how to manage my time a little better so I am able to spend more time with him and my daughter. But until I learn how to do that I am cutting this blog entry short to go play nintendo Wii with my son.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment